Courtney Stivers, PhD, LMFT
CSAT, CMAT, CTT, EMDR II Trained
- Couples & Marital Therapy
- Counselors, Clergy, & Other Helping Professionals
- Spouses/Partners Impacted by Sex Addiction
- School Aged Children
- EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Faith Based Counseling
- Family Counseling
- Individual Counseling
- Premarital Counseling
My name is Courtney Stivers, and I started out in the counseling field to help others. I continue to work in this field because I am grateful for the personal healing that I received as a client and I want others to experience healing, too.
My ideal client is someone who is fed up. They are fed up with how things are and they are motivated to finally invest the time and energy needed for a long lasting change. They are done with settling, temporary bandaids, ignoring pain, and not being where they want in life. I believe we are all worthy of love and belonging, and that you want to be fully understood and valued for who you are.
- PhD in Marriage & Family Therapy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, 2013
- Master of Science in Marriage & Family Therapy, Harding University, 2007
- Bachelor of Art in Psychology, Harding University, 2005
Licensing, Training & Certifications
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in Illinois
- CSAT (Certified Sex Addiction Therapist)
- CMAT (Certified Multiple Addiction Therapist-Chemical Dependency)
- CTT (Certified Trauma Therapist)
- EMDR Level 2 Trained (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- Completed Level 1 Certification in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
I have developed my clinical skills in many different settings, including residential treatment, school-based therapy, and community mental health. I also have experience in teaching, research, public speaking, professional consultation, the juvenile drug court system, and administration. As an Assistant Professor with Liberty University and as Adjunct Faculty with Grand Canyon University, I enjoy teaching graduate level counseling courses online.
Personally, I am a blogger, St. Louis baseball fan, a bit of a foodie, and my favorite way to spend time is being with my family. I was born and raised in central Illinois and now live in Germantown Hills. I have two beautiful children and have been married since 2006 to Dr. Ryan Stivers.